Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer dressin'


This is my last day of 'between jobs' freedom and I'm oh-so excited about what I have planned. The To-Do list is lengthy but there's only two nasty things on there (1. Pay parking ticket 2. Pay gas bill) - everything else is along the lines of, 3. Try on outfits, 4. Go and buy wedding card, 5. Buy ribbon ... you guessed it, dear reader, I'm off to a wedding. Or more accurately, a wedding after-party.

Summer weddings are the grown-up version of my undergraduate summer balls which were a delight and a tradition. Set in the picturesque quad of our college, for four years in a row (I went back for one) my first year roomie and I dolled ourselves up for the glam meets alcoholic-sham all-nighter. Often the getting ready was the best part; it's certainly the part I, er, remember best. Ball/party/must-wear-dress events are my favourite kind of outfit planning. I adore deciding whether or not this dress requires earrings, what shade of nail polish should be worn, which shoes are dressy enough without being matchy matchy - everything going towards creating the elusive elegant yet kooky, sexy yet subtle special effect. Event-dressing is the perfect opportunity for finishing touches you wouldn't normally have time for - G and I always used Summer Ball as an excuse to do something fun from fresh flower corsages to ribbons in the hair, vintage bags and belts, big time blow dries and Grecian maxi dresses, there was always something new to add to the mix. Alternative flat shoes had to be worked into the outfit, and the process was without fail smoothed along by champagne, strawberries and a lungful of Elnett. Yum.

Excuse my reminiscing; hopefully tomorrow's festivities will match up. Hopefully my outfit won't match match.

No comments: