Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Raspberry hooray


I've talked before about my blind love for baking and never is it more fun than when you are either procrastinating or bored as anything. Yesterday, I was both.

I was rummaging through the fridge when I chanced upon half a punnet of raspberries that Housebunny and Mr. Housebunny had neglected. Well out of date and looking a bit squishy, I was reluctant to chuck or compost them as raspberries are heaven in a berry as far as I am concerned; I just didn't have the heart. That was when I remembered culinary queen M waxing lyrical about a raspberry sponge she once made. So I gave it a go.

What deliciousness emerged from the oven 15-20 minutes later! A magnificent sponge was studded with the little pink gems which had formed fruity starbursts throughout the cake. I can't get enough of this baked goody. Try it, and serve with cream. You could experiment with other berries, or a mix, but you're morally obliged to let me know how you get on.

M's royal raspberry sponge

4 oz self-raising flour
4 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs
As many raspberries as you have, or your heart desires

1. Grease and line a cake tin or two (if you want to do a sponge sandwich, double these quantities and make two). I used round tins about 1 1/2 " deep and the size of a large side plate. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.

2. Cream together the butter and sugar in whatever method you prefer - I am currently using a whisk attachment on my food processor as my hand mixer has bitten the proverbial dust. If you're lucky enough to have a KitchenAid, I'm jealous.

3. Add the eggs and then the flour, little by little. Don't worry if the batter seems a little thick - this only means the mixture will hold the raspberries better and they won't sink.

4. Fold in your raspberries gently and try not to squish them too much - you want them to stay intact so that they form little bursts throughout the cake.

5. Spoon into your tin(s) and bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it though and as soon as a skewer emerges from the centre of the cake clean, and the sponge springs back with a vengeance, it's ready. Cool in the tin for ten minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.

6. You could sandwich this together with whipped cream and more fresh fruit, or just serve with pouring cream. De-licious.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'll be trying this one, it looks divine!

Unknown said...

Ummmmmm!! I'm going to have to try that!

Anonymous said...

Raspberries are indeed 'heaven in a berry'... yum!

*L said...

yummy. razzies are my fav!

Unknown said...

I tried the cake today and you're right, its gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Trying to resist a third slice...

Ellie O'Mahoney said...

More receipe please!! Ellie xx