Monday, January 28, 2008

She's nailed it

Lately I have been painting my fingernails almost daily. In a little round white leather case I keep close to me cotton wool, nail varnish remover, base coat, a file and polish. Keeping them neat makes me feel polished and changing the colour perks me up and styles me out.

My latest faves are a stunning shimmery red from OPI's Valentine's collection, gloriously entitled Log on to Love; Barry M's navy which is painfully untitled (only cruelly numbered, almost branded) and the battleship grey that Sophie Ellis Bextor wore on Buzzcocks. I think that might be one of Barry's, I must pick up a bottle asap.

I'd like my part time job to be official namer of varnishes - is there anything more wonderful than the fact that OPI called one of their beautiful blues Yoga-ta Get This Blue ["Make this deep dark blue your fashion mantra"]? Though when you look at the rest of the names of their India collection, the overall effect is - well, reductive, to put it mildly. Despite this, I am a total OPI convert. The brush is the perfect width when it splays out on your nail, and the drippy pigmented polish dries speedily and seems to be impatient-proof. The same cannot be said for my favourite NARS shade, Gimme Shelter, which tarnishes with fabric scuffs from my eggshell bedsheets, despite hours of drying. I blame base coat.

Of course, if I were a New Yorker, native or otherwise, I would not have a glimmer of this problem. Dashing Diva would be there for me, $10 impeccable manicures would be mine, mine, mine. Why haven't the Brits caught up? I think we'd rather be chipped, eccentric, a little bit grunge. Ew. The closest we get to a cheap mini mani on the go is Nails Inc, where they rarely think to suggest you pay before they paint, and where they hurry you out so you smudge. Shocking.

No comments: